Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gazing at a Miracle




Gazing at a miracle


by Eva Selhub, MD
intent.com



So there I was, caught up in my own thoughts, the week's "to do" list, and the stress of the day, when I looked up.


And there, standing just ahead, playing in the mud, making a mud bath for her barbie was my seven year-old niece, Ms. Maia Papaya. She was humming and completely unaware that I was staring, mesmerized with her beauty and her purity; with her ability to be present, in the moment, rather than thinking about tomorrow, yesterday or even what past that day.


I was mesmerized and amazed, wondering how incredible it was that she was here, on this earth, with me.


You see, Maia papaya doesn't look like me, so I just see her, not myself in her. I do not see her as an extension of me, so I have no expectation of her being anything other than who she is. I am able to acknowledge that she is her own spirit and therefore am incredibly grateful that she chose to be in my world. My world, not someone else’s.


This is a miracle.


To me, she is a miracle.


Every time I look at her, I am in awe and it seems that time stands still. But indeed, it is not time that is still, but me. I am still inside because I am in awe, not in fear, not in stress, but in love because I am in the presence of a miracle.


So today, when Maia papaya asked me, "Auntie, why are you looking at me and smiling?" I answered, "Because you are a miracle."


Within seconds, Maia Papaya started running around and telling the rest of the family, "Guess what? I am a miracle!".


May she never forget that.




SaturnsLady

No comments:

Post a Comment